Electricity and Healthcare
In regards to healthcare, one of the most significant factors that differentiates developed nations from those that are developing, is electricity. Without electricity, simple diagnostic machine like a microscope, cbc machines or x-ray are rendered useless. Instead of stocking disease preventing vaccinations inside a refrigerator, patients must rely on healthcare workers transporting vaccines over treacherous roads in a portable cooler. Surgical procedures cannot be performed safely without properly sterilized instruments or functioning surgical lights. By solving the problem of electricity, we will begin the first step in improving the healthcare standards of a infrastructure poor country.
Solar-A Renewable Power Source for Containerized Clinics.
The most important element that has already been discussed which directly improves the ability of medical professionals to diagnosis and treat patients, is electricity. Until recently, generators have been the only electrical option in countries without grid power. The majority of generators that the masses can afford produce “dirty” power which has the potential to irreparably damage costly medical devices or reduce the life expectancy of electromechanical equipment.
The alternative solution to the use of diesel or gasoline powered generators for electricity is solar power. As the demand for renewable energy alternatives has surged in Westernized Countries, economy of scales has positively affected the cost of solar power that until recently was unaffordable. For example, solar panels have gone from $77USD/watt in 1977 to $0.613USD/watt in 2013 which is a 99% decrease is the cost of solar panels. In addition, charge controllers and solar inverters have become more economical and reliable. One of the key difference between solar and generator power is a solar inverter produces pure sine wave electricity, or clean power which is essential for medical devices. In the past, a solar systems cost 21% more than a generator but that no longer is true. A complete 3.4 KWh 1920 watt solar system with batteries, inverter and charge controller cost less than a quality diesel generator. Considering a gas or diesel generator requires fuel and maintenance, the cost to produce electricity is continuous. Not so with solar. Once the up-front cost of solar has been paid for, electricity is free for the next 5 to 7 years and solar panels have a 25 year warranty. The only required maintenance on the solar system is washing the solar panels as required. The next evolution that will create an even better solar system is the change from lead-acid batteries to lithium ion batteries. As of now, a lead acid battery can only discharge 50% of it’s stored electricity. Which means our clinic can be powered for 18 hours without sunlight. Discharging the battery below 50% risks permanent damage. This is unlike the battery of a cellular phone which can be fully charged and discharged thousands of times without battery damage. Complete use of stored energy.
Lithium ion battery storage technology is the next advancement in solar power. Companies like Tesla and their Powerwall are reducing the size and weight of energy storage systems. Lithium ion batteries will also allow a broader access to stored photovoltaic power. As was mentioned before, lead acid batteries can become damaged or have a reduce life expectancy if allowed to discharge below 50% of stored power. This is not true for lithium ion battery storage systems like the Powerwall 1 or 2. Once the Tesla Gigafactory has been completed, we should see the cost of the Powerwall becoming more affordable and begin offering them as part of our solar powered clinic solution.
Solar Power key factors
- Our 6 mt Solar Powered Clinic with six solar panels and eight lead acid batteries will run 24 hours/7 days per weeks totally on solar power.
- Our nine solar panel and single Lithium ion battery solar option will run TWO of our 6 mt Solar Powered Clinics 15 hours/7 days per week totally on solar power.
- The average power consumption of our 6 mt clinic including our air conditioner, shallow well water pump, LED lighting and all medical equipment is less than 500 watts.
- Your clinic can be set in the most remote location and provide life saving medical attention regardless of the surrounding infrastructure.
- Even if the weather is rainy or overcast, your solar powered clinic will continue to provide power through the back-up battery system for upwards of 18 hours with all equipment running normal.
OUR SOLAR COMPONENT SUPPLIERS
We have partnered with only the best suppliers in solar components that have distribution and support centers worldwide. Better quality components means less chance of failure. If a component does fail, our suppliers warranties cover repair or replacement.
- Schneider Electric
- Canadian Solar
- Fullriver Lead Acid Battery
- Discover LIFEPO4 Lithium Battery
- USA Made battery cables and solar rails
NEW-DISCOVER 6.65 kWh LIFEPO4 LITHIUM BATTERY with a 10 year warranty.
Efficient & Fast Charging Discover AES batteries are 15% more efficient than lead acid batteries, allowing for reduced charge times and greater utilization of renewable energy sources. Specially designed and engineered to work with our Schneider Conext SW 4048 inverter. The Discover battery Xanbus comm port provides plug and play integration with SE Conext XW+, SW, SCP, ComBox and solar charge controller. The Discover battery is 1/3 the weight of their lead acid battery equivalent.
Discover’s RAPI-CHARGE© charge source optimization allows Discover AES LiFePO4 batteries to fully recharge up to 5x faster than new lead acid batteries
or up to 10x faster than aged lead acid batteries.
The Battery Management System (BMS) and charge control system of Discover AES LiFePO4 batteries optimize charge current and voltage to safely recharge the battery at the highest and most efficient rate regardless of its state of charge. Even the highest quality lead acid batteries require lengthy absorption and equalization stages to achieve a fully charged state. Unlike flooded batteries, Discover AES LiFePO4 batteries accept a charge at maximum inputs throughout the charging process and don’t require “absorption” or “equalization” over charge stages. Those charging stages waste energy, money and time, and the losses are further compounded as lead acid batteries age. The RAPI-CHARGE© capability of Discover AES LiFePO4 batteries allows solar installers to design systems using smaller arrays and for homeowners to dramatically reduce diesel consumption when compared to systems
utilizing high quality, lead acid batteries.
Discover AES LiFePO4 batteries have JUCE©, doubling runtime and energy output over lead acid battery banks of the same capacity. Value Proposition
“This 400Ah L16 has 200Ah in usable capacity”. The math used by solar installers is so well known that it’s just accepted as the truth. Because deeply discharging lead acid batteries decreases life expectancy, a maximum of 50% Depth of Discharge (DOD) is typically and responsibly factored into sizing every lead acid battery bank. With Discover AES LiFePO4 batteries and JUCE©, what you see is what you get. Discover’s 100% DOD battery ratings represent the actual usable energy output available from a fully charged battery. This means Discover AES LiFePO4 batteries will provide at least 2x the usable energy in a single cycle versus an equivalent high quality lead acid string without any risk of damaging the battery. Discover AES LiFePO4 batteries with JUCE©: Your customers can’t afford lead.
Hybrid option (Diesel Generator + Solar) Key factors
- Combines the benefits of both a diesel generator and solar power linked by a gen-start kit.
- Reliable source of power during periods of inclement weather when a clinic(s) needs to function 24 hour per day.
- Allows for extended power supply when geography and climate reduces the amount of solar power harvest
- Extends battery life
- Reduces the amount of consumed diesel fuel as the majority of electricity is provided by stored battery power. Only when the batteries are discharged to a pre-programmed voltage, does the gen-start device signal the diesel generator to start. The generator will run for approximately 3 - 4 hours providing essential power for the clinic but also charging the batteries. Once the batteries are re-charged, the generator will turn off automatically and power for the clinic will now switch back to the solar panels and batteries
- Allows for up to FOUR of our 20 foot Clinic In A Can units to be powered with our Hybrid Power Option.